There are many ways to acquire fabric and with the internet, you can buy it more easier than ever. Online shopping for fabric has evolved so much in the last few years but it can still seem like a daunting task and always a little bit risky, especially if you've never done so before. The good news is that it doesn't have to be. By following the tips below, you'll be able to make your purchase process as simple and stress-free as possible. Here are some tips for buying handloom fabric online:
While shopping for fabric, always check for the fabric weight. The gsm determines if the fabric is suitable for your project. The higher the gsm number, the thicker and heavier it will be.
A lightweight fabric will be more suited to flowy garments and linings whereas a heavier fabric would be better suited for winter wear, upholstery projects or for use in commercial applications where durability and resistance to wear are required.
While shopping fabric online, always check for the Fabric Width. Depending on this width, you would need more or less fabric than you anticipate. This can also be handy in avoiding fabric wastage. For example, our handloom fabrics are 45 inches wide and are suitable for garments, accessories and homewares like cushion covers, placemats etc as well as anything made by using patchwork techniques like quilts or rugs. However, anything wider than 45 inches like a double bed cover or large table cover would be feasible with fabric joined by a lapped seam.
On a screen, it is impossible to assess the size of any motif or design. To avoid frustration and wasted money, always find the dimension of the motif or pattern and Repeat. Repeat refers to how often that same pattern is repeated in a given inch or cm. Many online stores would have the fabric picture taken with scale for your reference. So make sure to check that.
If you are buying fabric online, remember to check for the fabric description. The fabric composition is a crucial bit of information. For example, cotton can be blended with other fibre content like silk or khadi. Each of these types has its own characteristics and properties which affect the behaviour of the resulting fabric.
At Anuprerna, all our fabrics are 100% natural materials. Even the blended fabrics are always composed of only natural fibres like cotton silk, or Matka and ketya silk blend. We strictly do not use any synthetic fibres as they are non-biodegradable and can be detrimental to the environment. You can find the composition details in every product description.
Though not the most crucial, it is beneficial to check for information on the drape or fall of the fabric. Many online stores now feature images where you can get a rough idea about the drape or fold of the fabric. This will help define the structure and silhouette of your garment.
1. Always read the return policy thoroughly. Be sure to know what is possible and how much time you have after purchase to file for a return.
2. Remember that different monitors can display colours differently so don't be surprised if your fabric looks a little different from what you saw on the screen.
3. Check out the reviews and see what other shoppers have to say about their experiences with that fabric and how it compares to online photos.
4. Take into account the shipping costs.
5. Check whether the fabrics are pre-shrunk or not. If you buy pre-shrunk fabrics, then make sure you check the care instructions before purchasing them.
6. Also check the care guide of the fabrics thoroughly. You can also find out more about how much time it takes for a particular fabric to dry between washes by checking out its washing instructions as provided by manufacturers on their website or in catalogues they send out regularly.
7. Don't be afraid to reach out with questions directly to the manufacturers if they offer a phone number or email address.
Keeping even just these tips in mind while shopping for fabrics online can make a huge difference and prevent you from disappointing hauls. And once you get the hang of it, the task wouldn't seem daunting at all. Irrespective of whatever fabric you are looking for, always order swatches first and thoroughly read the shipping cost and return policy of the online store.
At Anuprerna, We Requests Everyone To Contribute And Share. This Way We Can Create Global Recognition For These Beautiful Handwoven Craft & Textiles To Bestow Value Onto The Ordinary Lives Of Our Artisans With Extraordinary Skills. And We Believe That's The Only Way We Can Build A Sustainable And Ethical World For Us.