When it comes to caring for garments made with natural-dyed fabrics or clothing, a gentle touch and a mindful approach are key. By following these guidelines, we can preserve the vibrancy and integrity of our natural-dyed fabrics.
To ensure long-term care of your natural dyed garments, it is advisable to follow the 3 imperative steps of Gentle Washing, Shade Drying and Proper storage.
At Anuprerna, our meticulous selection of dyes includes an array of organic ingredients like Madder, Lac, Marigold, Mulberry Plant, Indigo, and more, enabling us to create stunning dyes that not only enhance the beauty of fabrics but also contribute to a sustainable future.
1. Washing at room temperature allows the fabric and dye to remain intact and maintain their color and softness.
2. Read the labels on your detergent to ensure it is free of Optical Brightening Agents (OBAs), which are chemicals used in some detergents to make fabrics appear brighter and whiter.
Common additives in detergents are bleach activators, zeolite, or sodium perborate. These additives can potentially affect the fabric's appearance or cause damage, so it's best to choose a detergent without them.
3. Chlorine bleach detergents contain Sodium perborate, which can be harsh on certain fabrics and may cause discoloration or damage.
4..Dry cleaning can be harsh on certain fabrics or may affect their texture or color, as it uses solvents instead of water. It's best to avoid dry cleaning natural-dyed fabrics.
Why should you dry natural dyed fabrics in the shade?
When it comes to after-wash care, the most important step is to dry the fabrics in the shade.
1. Drying fabrics in the shade minimizes the risk of color loss or alteration, helping to maintain the vibrancy and longevity of the dyed fabric.
2. If you hang natural dyed fabrics in direct sunlight to dry, the heat and sunlight may accelerate the drying process, which can potentially lead to uneven drying and result in color bleeding.
3. UV rays can break down the chemical bonds in the dye molecules, causing them to degrade and fade. Drying natural-dyed fabrics in the shade minimizes the risk of color degradation and ensures the longevity of the dyes.
4. Elevated temperatures can accelerate the breakdown of natural dyes, leading to color fading. Drying in the shade helps maintain a cooler and more moderate temperature, reducing the risk of heat-induced color loss.
Low tumble drying prevents excessive shrinkage or damage to the fabric that could occur with high heat. After tumble drying, not much water is retained and it would be advisable to keep or hang the fabrics indoors, in the shade to dry for a couple more hours.
How to ensure the longevity of Natural Dyed Fabrics?
1.If ironing is required, it is recommended to use a low heat setting to avoid damaging the fabric. This is particularly important for natural-dyed fabrics due to their delicate or sensitive nature.
2. Store your textiles in a dry environment with moderate humidity levels to avoid causing mold, mildew, or color bleeding in natural-dyed fabrics. Avoid storing them in basements, attics, or areas prone to dampness.
3. Store your textiles in airtight containers or sealable bags to prevent bugs from infesting them. Adding natural pest deterrents like cedar chips, lavender sachets, or dried citrus peels can help keep pests away.
4. Place acid-free tissue paper between folds or layers of fabric to provide cushioning and prevent color transfer. Acid-free tissue paper is free from chemicals that can cause discoloration or deterioration over time.
By choosing these textiles and embracing their care instructions, we actively contribute to the preservation of traditional craftsmanship, support local artisans, and promote a healthier environment. Let us continue to appreciate the exquisite artistry of natural dyes, making them an integral part of our wardrobe and a testament to our commitment to a more sustainable and mindful way of living.
At Anuprerna, We Requests Everyone To Contribute And Share. This Way We Can Create Global Recognition For These Beautiful Handwoven Craft & Textiles To Bestow Value Onto The Ordinary Lives Of Our Artisans With Extraordinary Skills. And We Believe That's The Only Way We Can Build A Sustainable And Ethical World For Us.